January 15, 2016

Emboss Resist ~ with Stencils part I


This year I joined a group of 8 crafty ladies for a monthly Blog Hop. On every first Saturday each month you will be introduced to a new technique. Check out the cards that we make and see how these techniques work. I will post more detailed information about my cards shown and the technique on some of the Fridays during this month. In case you missed the first Hop...Click Here... to catch up!

OK, now back to the projects:
I made all my cards with WOW super fine clear embossing powder just because I ran out of the white one ...ops :-) But you could used any one of the two here. The white powder would give you a more vibrant impression, which can change the look of your image quite a bit. 
I used a stencil called "Verdant" from Penny Black and a piece of 5 1/4" x 4" watercolor paper. To make sure the stencil wouldn't move on me I secured it with some washi tape to the paper. 

I took my Versa-mark Watermark Ink pad straight to the stencil and carefully pressed it into the stencil. You have to work careful since the ink is super sticky. After I made sure I got everything inked well I removed the stencil (clean it right away with soap and water) and covered the image with embossing powder. The powder will stick to the ink and excess powder will shake off. 


Now start your heat gun to get it nice and warm before you hold it over the powder on your card. I always start in a corner and once I see the powder melting I slowly move on. Make sure all powder is melted before you turn the heat off.

All areas covered with the melted powder will now resist any color I put on there. In this case I used, red, orange and yellow ZIG Clean Color Real Brush Markers which blend beautifully with water. I simply went around the embossed image with the yellow, followed buy the orange and finished it with the red. Just stripes and dots, not to careful, since I sprayed the whole paper down with water. All spots with color will get activated and the colors start moving together. The areas with the embossing will stay white.


I used a Lawn Fawn border die to cut the watercolor in three parts. I also took a small strip of the middle one off to create a small gap between the panels. I used the tiny strips on the inside of the card.

The card is finished with a piece of black cardstock (5 1/2"x 4 1/4") adhered to the base. I spaced the panels evenly on the front and added the little "Happy Birthday" phrase from the Close to My Heart stamp set "Happy to be Friends" (C1605) to the card. A few sequins and this card is finished.

Do you like this card or would you like to try this technique yourself? Contact me for more information and class schedules. Leave a comment and let me know if you like this card, post, ...

No comments:

Post a Comment