June 1, 2016

A Birthday Card Surprise

Sometimes you want to make something different when you create a birthday card, just like this one:

The cardbase was cut from a 8 1/2" x 11" piece of white cardstock so you end up with two 4 1/4" x 11" pieces.

I scored one at 1 1/2" and 7" and left the other one for the next project.

Fold the card so both scored pieces will meet in the front. 


I used a die to create the little holes on the 4" side of the card, by running the cardbase with the die through my die-cutting machine.

Next I decorated the smaller 1 1/2" flap with some blue and teal cardstock pieces, both decorated with a scalloped edge. I added a piece of white ribbon and adhered the whole flap to the cardbase, leaving about 1/2" open along the blue edge. This is necessary so the bigger flap can later tuck behind it to close the card! A nice "Happy Birthday" greeting goes on the inside.

The rose on the front of the card was cut with the Cricut. I cut it from three different colors of cardstock. The base was cut in dark blue and created a full background and the small edge to the rose. The second lay was cut from teal cardstock and created the inside color. Last was a cut from light blue cardstock that created the detailed image of the rose.

You can adhere all three layers together with regular glue, but this will create a rather flat image. I used thin foam adhesive to adhere all three layers together. This will give the rose just a little more dimension. A few rhinestones will finish off this card.

Please let me know if you have questions or would like to learn how to make your own cards. There is always room for one more in my classes :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment