April 19, 2019

Scrapbook Friday - Layout 6

Can you believe it? We are already looking at layout No.6 and I still have plenty of design paper left to create more layouts. This time I thought we mix it up a bit and use a sketch for a change. What is a sketch you might ask?



Well it is a design page for a specific amount and size of pictures including measurements for the photos used and all papers and embellishments. You can find them all over the internet or check out some of the awesome books Close To My Heart offers for all kind of page layouts... CLICK HERE

Sketch Pros and Cons:
I love that the complete layout is done for you and all you have to do is pick your colors and papers and start cutting. They include all measurements and placements.
On the con side you might say "what if my pictures are in the wrong orientation or I have more than the sketch shows?" Yes, that is a common problem but one that can easily be fixed. First off remember from my previous posts, you can always flip and turn your sketch around. This might fix the issue right there. If this will not work, see if you can arrange them in a different way so you stay in the perimeter of the intended photos but change the size to your pictures. Last, if you have more pictures than the sketch calls for, use journaling spots to add extra photos. There are other options to add extra pictures but this will be another tutorial on different Friday.

So let's see what we can make with this sketch here:


I started out with the right side of the sketch because my pictures almost worked perfectly with this design. I cut four of them to 3" x 4". (Variation: if you pictures happen to be vertical shots, try three pictures cut at 4" x 3" and place them in the same spot shown on the sketch). For the big photo: mine was going vertically and I already had cut it to 5 3/4" x 3 3/4" (because I intended to mat it, which I ended up not doing). 


Sticking with my design papers I was going to use the dotted paper. A bit busy and therefore I decided to change the sizes a little bit from the original sketch.
So the original sketch calls for design paper 6"x12" and then 3"x12".... I changed mine to 5"x12" and 3"x12".



I tried a couple of variations with both design paper pieces until I found the original sketch was the best way to go. So first my 5" width dotted paper and the my 3" width light blue paper. It looked pretty good so far but I felt I need one extra piece. I used one of the lagoon cardstock strips that I cut off on the previous layout. Both strips are cut at 1/2" x 12". I placed them on both pages on the seam where the two design papers meet.

While the sketch calls for some extra paper horizontally I decided not to use it. I mirrored the left page with the same papers but cut my photos in a different way.
Again, the sketch calls for a 5"x7" photo, but I had three to go in the same spot. I cut mine to 3"x6" and adhered them together. This created a "photo" measuring 9"x6". I also had two extra photos I wanted to add to this side. One was cut at 4"x 4" and was placed in the lower left corner. The final photo used is a 2" square and I placed it just towards the bottom. You see, even so my pictures didn't quite fit the sketch and even so I didn't use all the design paper elements, I made it work.

Materials used in this layout:
- 2 sheets of "thistle" cardstock 12"x12" from Close To My Heart
- 2 strips of design paper with dots each cut at 5"x12" CTMH "I Heart Us"
- 2 strips of design paper in light blue with + signs on it each cut at 3"x12" CTMH "I Heart Us"
- 2 strips of "lagoon" cardstock 1/2"x12" from CTMH

Stay tuned ….





No comments:

Post a Comment