March 15, 2019

Scrapbook Friday - Let's get started

Today I like to get started on some real layouts. I thought it would be interesting for you to see how many layouts you will be able to create from just a couple of design papers and cardstock sheets. 
I will be using 5 design paper sheets from the current Close to My Heart paper called "I Heart Us" (X7242B) and some matching cardstock. (remember, right now you can buy a paper pack and/or coordinating cardstock pack and get a second one 50%).
The beauty of our design paper is that it is double sided so you have one design on one side and a different one on the other. But before we go into detail, a little prep-work is needed.

I picked a few of the pictures I will be using to show you what difference a cardstock color can make. 


I know the picture quality isn't perfect, but it still show quite nicely the differences. The first color cardstock is Bluebird, followed by Lagoon and Mint. Mint clearly makes the pictures look very dull. It is almost as if the cardstock color removes the color out of the picture. Lagoon and especially Bluebird on the other hand really make the colors in the pictures pop.


Next we have a look at the a variety of different pinks. First off is Pixie, next Raspberry and last Thistle. In this case Raspberry actually is a bit to bright for the pictures, while Thistle and Pixie support the photos. In upcoming posts I'll have more pictures of old structures where the pink really works well with the stone colors.

Last but not least is a green colored cardstock called Sweet Leaf which works well with the greens in the pictures. 

So after sorting thought these colors and comparing them with my pictures I decided to work with a few different ones. Bluebird and Lagoon for sure. Sweetleaf, Pixie and Thistle are also on my list.

Beside these main colors I will add a few neutrals into the mix. You can never have enough neutrals on hand. I always have White, Black, Browns and Greys on hand. Close to My Heart offers a great variety of neutral colors and one of my absolute favors is Charcoal. For those of you who are not familiar with the cardstocks from CTMH, try them. They cut super nice and easy and they are "two toned"... meaning one side of the cardstock is of a darker hue and the other one is of a light hue of the same color.
So here are the photos, colors and papers I will be using:

I will add the neutrals on the go and remember each design paper you see will have a different design on the other side.

Now lets start with the first page, shall we?







Materials used:
1 sheet of Bluebird cardstock 12"x12"
2 strips of design paper cut at 1 1/2"x12"
2 strips of White Glitter paper cut at 1/4"x12"

My photos are cut at:
- top row: 2 photos at 5 1/4"x2 1/2"
- middle row: 3 photos at 3 1/2"x3 1/2"
- bottom row: 2 photos at 5 1/4" x2 1/2"

Before I adhere all pieces in place I like to lay them down and see how they look. Sometimes I move them around to see if something else works better. In this case move them to the sides of the page or place them to the top and bottom. I decided the top - bottom one was my best fit.


Regarding the double-sided design paper, my first choice was the darker greenish side of the paper. I did try the back and in picture 2 you can see how this looked like. Clearly the lighter blue didn't work so back to choice one.

I adhered each design strip flush with the bottom and the other one with the top of my cardstock sheet. Next I added the small glitter paper strip. For the pictures I spaced them out with just a little space between them, starting with the top row. Followed by the middle row. For the middle row I adhered the right and left photo first before I centered the middle one between them. This makes spacing them easier. Finally all that is left are the pictures in the bottom row. 
I have one picture left over, but this one I will cut down to just a small one, maybe a round one? I will have to play with it and do my journaling and add a title. So next week this page will be completed. 
I will get started with the next layout using the left over design papers and cardstock so tune in next Friday to see the new layout. 

What do you think, how many layouts can I create from 5 sheets of design papers? Leave a comment down below :-) Thanks for reading and see you soon...


Reminder: These pages are not finished. Journaling and embellishments will be done ones the pictures are all placed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment